The Architect's Column - Heswall and District Magazine

by Nick 6. October 2011 21:31


Our Chartered RIBA Architect & Director, Nick Belderbos, will be writing a regular column for the Heswall Magazine.

Nick will be offering advice on all aspects of building projects, from design to competion, for domestic homeowners.


Readers are invited to send any queries to Responses will feature in the next edition or on our BLOG page.


Heswall Magazine is a Local high quality publication ditributed free to over 16,000 homes and businesses in: Heswall, Gayton, Pensby, Thingwall, Banston, Brimstage, Irby, Thurstaston, Caldy ad Thornton Hough.


The 'Architect's Clinic' St Peter's Church, Lower Heswall, Wirral

by Nick 6. October 2011 20:55

We are pleased to announce that we will be holding an


‘Architect’s Clinic’ as part of the Heswall Arts Festival.

(visit )


The clinic will take place at: 


St Peter’s Church Hall, Lower Heswall, Wirral

at 7.40pm on Wednesday 19th October 2011.


The programme will include:


  • Presentation on maximising the potential of your property by local RIBA Chartered Architect Nick Belderbos
  • Cheese and Wine with a free consultation and an opportunity to discuss the possibilities for your property.

20% discount vouchers will be available for attendees. 

The clinic may be of interest to you if:



  • You are looking to extend your property
  • Your property requires renovation
  • You are looking to build a new home
  • You need to maximise existing space within your home.
  • You may be looking to move house. If so, have you considered looking for a property with potential to convert into the property you require?
  • You are selling your house. It may be worth considering obtaining a Planning Approval to maximise the potential of your home.  You could then market the property with the benefit of Planning Approval.  This may increase the likelihood of selling your property and could add value to the your marketing price. 


We would be very pleased to welcome you to our ‘Architect’s Clinic’ and look forward to seeing you.


For numbers it would be helpful if you could let us know you are able to attend, by simply forwarding an e-mail to







A guide to extending, building or refurbishing your home. Heswall, Caldy, West Kirby, Wallasey, Wirral and Cheshire

by Nick 29. September 2011 15:25

Where to Start When investing significant money into your property, it is important that you get it right from the very start. The appointment of a Chartered Architect will ensure that a professional will be there to guide you through each step of your project.

However large or small your project, a well-considered design is fundamental. This stage should not be rushed or overlooked. The design should reflect your lifestyle now and also consider how this may change in the future. It is not just about providing additional space but how you will live in it. A small investment of time and funds at this stage of the project will pay dividends. Remember, you may have to live with the decisions you make now for many years to come.

Once a sketch scheme is complete, it is beneficial to establish a budget cost to ensure that your ambitions match your budget.


Planning Your project may or may not require a formal Planning Application. Permitted development rights allow certain levels of development without the need for approval, this must be checked prior to commencement.

Essentially, the planning department deals with the appearance, positioning and impact of your proposals on neighbouring properties and the wider locality. An application will require detailed drawings together with a completed application form and fee (currently £150 for a domestic extension). Additional information is often necessary depending on location, type of building and the proposals. Much of Caldy is within a Conservation Area, a Heritage Statement and a Design & Access Statement will be necessary. Parts of Heswall and other areas on Wirral are also Conservation Areas  . If an application is required, it is best to form a working relationship with the Planning Department at an early stage. This will give your Planning Application the best chance of success. Wirral Planning have a drop in or phone service, this is currently free.  Once an application has been validated, the Planning department have 8 weeks to make a decision. An approval may be granted with conditions and the work must commence within 3 years or the approval becomes invalid. A refused application can be resubmitted once within 12 months at no additional charge to the Local Authority. The Party Wall Act and other issues should also be considered at this stage.


Building Regulations Most projects will require a Building Regulations Application, even if Planning Approval is not required. This will require more detailed drawings dealing with issues such as drainage, structure, insulation, health, safety, and accessibility. Calculations, prepared by a Structural Engineer are normally required to accompany the application.

The Building Regulations Application can be submitted to either the Local Authority or an Approved Inspector. Their services comprise of a Plan Check followed by inspections on site.  Their fees depend on the nature of the work. For very small projects it is possible to submit as a Building Notice, which requires only limited information.

Once the Application has been received, works can start after 48 hours and without formal Building Regulations plan approval. It is important that the Inspector is kept informed to avoid unnecessary correction of works on site. The Building Control Officer or Approved Inspector will inspect at certain stages of the work and it is essential that a Building Regulations Completion certificate be obtained on completion confirming the works meet the necessary standards.

 Construction Costs and Tender There a number of ways to obtain a construction cost. The most common method is to issue the drawings and additional information to 3 of 4 contractors for pricing. The contractors should be provided with as much information as possible to ensure accurate and competitive costs are obtained and extras on site are kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.


Contracts Following selection of a contractor it is advisable that some form of contract is prepared. The best way is to use a standard JCT form of contract. There are simple contracts specifically designed for domestic projects. The contracts are designed to provide both the client and contractor with protection should issues arise on site.


Works on site and Completion Once on site you are in the final stage of your project. Works should be closely monitored to ensure they are in accordance with the drawings. Payments are normally made at stages throughout the works and upfront payments should be avoided. If an Architect is appointed they can monitor the payments and prepare payment certificates. Retentions should be held on stage payments and also at completion for 3, 6 or 12 months depending on the contract. This allows for defects to be rectified. VAT will usually be applied to domestic extensions and can be a significant sum. In certain circumstances, such as New Build, VAT can be claimed back, this should be checked with H M Revenue & Customs.


pdf copy of article for printing -  The Architects Clinic article PDF.pdf (1.29 mb)


About are Wirral based architects working from offices in Heswall covering Wirral, much of Cheshire and Merseyside. All projects are designed and led by an RIBA Chartered Architect.
Established 10 years ago we have grown our reputation on personal service coupled with sympathetic and innovative design.

Month List


21 Mill Lane

CH60 2TE

Tel: 0151 342 5455